The accounting software QuickBooks is beneficial due to its multiple features and convenient tools. Intuit has launched various tools to ease up users’ work and one such tool is QuickBooks Database Manager.
The QuickBooks DB server manager helps access the multi-user feature with minimal effort. However, the installation of the QB database server manager is quite confusing.
If you want to install the QuickBooks Database Manager appropriately without confusion then this informative post is for you. The steps along with the set-up of the QB data server manager are stated in this post. So let’s begin.
Points To Remember Before Installing QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Before proceeding to install the QB database server manager, it is important to remember some facts and tips regarding it.
- The basic use of QuickBooks Database Server Manager is to create (.ND) Network Data Files. It creates (.ND) file for all company file currently saved on the host workstation.
- In case you’re on several versions of QB desktop, you must install the QB data server manager separately.
- Installing QBDSM let you access multiple QB processes. (Do not confuse the processes with software).
- You must ensure to install QB data manager into each of the systems having QB desktop.
- Remember when you install QBDSM it automatically creates a new user for QB desktop.
- Always check/install the latest QB database manager.
- In the case of using the multiple versions of QB desktop, users must QB database server manager sequentially from oldest to newest.
Easy Steps to Install The QuickBooks Database Server Manager Properly
At first, users are required to launch the installer and then follow:
- Click “Start” when the “Installation Wizard” appears.
- Ensure to have a stable internet connection.
- Hit “Next“ for downloading updates.
- Or else, select “No”.
- Now, you are required to end all the background programs.
- Thereafter, click “Next”.
- The terms and conditions of the QuickBooks Database Server Manager will appear.
- Read it carefully and if you agree, you can tick the “I accept” and Hit “Next”.
- Now, either choose Custom or Network accordingly.
- Hit “Installation type”.
- Choose “You’ll be using QB…” (in order to launch the program on your system).
- Afterwards, Hit “Yes“.
- Then allow “Access“.
- Input your license as well as product number.
- Follow on-display instructions.
- Restart the system.
Following all these steps will make sure if the installation of QBDSM is proper. Furthermore, after installing the QBDSM, you are required to set it up for utilizing this incredibly useful tool. It is recommended to check the QuickBooks Database Server Manager Updates timely for a better experience.
Setting Up The QB Database Server Manager
After the installation process, users can set up their QB database server manager by following these basic steps:
Step 1: Run QB Database Server Manager
- Click “Start” on the system having QBDSM installed.
- Next, click “Programs”.
- Select “QuickBooks”.
- Hit “QuickBooks Database“.
Step 2: Use “Scan Folder”
Before proceeding to the second step, ensure if the company files are configured as accessible via other users. Thereafter, follow:
- Click “Scan Folders“ on the dashboard of QBDSM.
- Browse the folder containing company files.
- If you’re not sure about the location of your file then scan the whole disk.
- Now, click “Scan”.
Note: the files that will be saved on the scanned folder are configured for having multi-user access.
Step 3: Add Folder
After scanning the company file, follow:
- Hit “Add folders” then you can choose the folder where you want to save the configured company file.
Step 4: Remove the folder
In case you mistakenly added a wrong folder and want to remove it, you can use this option by:
- Click the created folder.
- Hit “Remove Folder“.
Also Read: Quickbooks connection diagnostic tool
Step 5: Click “Scan”
- After using “scan the folder”, the QB company file found will appear on the system.
- Thereafter, hit “Scan”.
Step 6: Using “Monitored Drive”
After adding company files on the server, the monitored drive features will be useful to keep the QB data server manager up to date.
- At first, Press “Windows” or visit “Start”.
- Hit “Programs“.
- Select “QuickBooks”.
- Tap “QuickBooks Database”.
- Choose “Monitored Drive”.
- Click “Remove/Rename”.
- Hit “Select” for adding local drives you wish to monitored for added files.
These steps will assure the proper setup of the QBDSM. However, there are some events where the QB database manager fails to launch and the solution for this issue is stated next.
Resolve QuickBooks Database Server Manager Can’t Launch
In case the QB Desktop and QuickBooks Database Server Manager are installed on the server, follow:
- Launch “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Select “File menu”.
- Hit “Open/Restore Company”.
- Choose “Company File”.
- Tap “Next”.
- Hit “Open file Multi-User”.
- Click “Open”.
- Log in “Company file”.
- Visit “File”.
- Select “Close Company”. from the File menu
- Thereafter, launch QBDSM.
In case only database is installed on the server, follow:
- Click “Start”.
- Input “Control Panel”.
- Select “Administrative Tools”.
- Hit “Services”.
- Tap-right “QuickBooksDBXXXX”.
- Select “Restart”.
We hope the installation steps for QBDSM and the guidelines to set it up will help you install and use the QBDSM smoothly. The content provided to you is well-researched and the steps for the installation of QBDSM are validated by our experts.