A roof is a primary shield for your house. It protects your house from environmental conditions like rain, snow, heat, strong wind, etc. You need to pick the roofing material for your roof to ensure durability. Furthermore, it not only act as a protection but also a way to give your house an added value. It gives a defined look to your house by increasing the aesthetic appeal of the property.
To get the finest look and ensuring durability, the installation and maintenance of the roof is the other side of the coin. The selection of the roofing material should be done properly to avoid problems. If you are looking for the guidance for selecting the right material, then you should contact roofing contractors Cape Cod MA for the right advice. A roof is the exterior of the house and it should be in proper shape. In the following blog, we will be looking at the six most popular roofing materials that you can use to make the roof of your property. Let’s get started:
Factors to Keep in Mind When Selecting Roofing Material
When you are going to select the right material for your roof, then you should keep the following factors in your mind:
- You need to check that the selected material is easily available and it is available in different colors to complement well with the overall look of your house.
- The weight of the material. If it will be heavy, then it will require special frames.
- You need to know about the installation issues and the special maintenance needed by the roofing materials.
- You should be aware of the performance of the material in the extreme weather conditions in your specific area.
- Learn about the cost of the product and its durability.
- The martial should comply with the local area fire regulation and laws.
You should keep all the aforementioned factors in your mind when selecting the roofing material. It is necessary to be done to avoid the problem that may arise if the wrong material is selected. To avoid trouble, you should get in touch with local roofing contractors.
Now, we will be looking at the various options of the material that you can pick. We will be discussing their pros and cons so that you can make the right decision in the end:
1-Clay and Concrete Tiles
Roof build using clay and concrete looks elegant due to the added texture. The clay tiles are flat and durable. They are heavy as well. Concrete tiles are less expensive than the clay tiles.
- They last longer. Their life expectancy is about 40 to 50 years.
- They are non-combustible.
- Clay tiles are costly. The price is $300 to $500 per square.
- They are having and need additional framing.
Concrete and clay tiles work best for the Mediterranean home style and Spanish home style.
It is one of the most used roofing devices. They are frequently used due to their easy installation and economical price.
Furthermore, you can use the organic materials of fiberglass to strengthen the shingles without changing their appearance.
- It is easily available.
- It is available in a variety of colors.
- It comes with an affordable price tag. The cost is mostly $70 to $120 per square.
- No guarantee for the quality
- It does not require insulation as compared to other material.
You can use the asphalt shingle in many architectural styles. Some of the common styles is the traditional suburban. Furthermore, you should always contact professionals to avail roof repair and replacement services.
Next on the list is metal roofing. It is lightweight. It is durable and last longer. It is also resistant to extreme wonder conditions. You get two types of metal roofing material such as panels and shingles. They come in aluminum, stainless steel, zinc, and copper material.
- It reflects the solar.
- They are durable as compared to asphalt and wood. They will last longer for 40 to 70 years.
- It is expensive. The price range is between $100 to $300 per square.
- Some style may cost you $600 to $ 800 per square.
Synthetic products are also available for the roofing. They are designed properly so that they look similar in texture, color, and look with the other natural materials. They are easy to be maintained and can be installed easily. Most of them are fire-resistant. Before you make the purchase, it is suggested to check the warranty information provided by the manufacturer.
Moreover, you should check the brochures of the manufacturers as well to know about the sizes of the sample.
- They are cheap as compared to the other natural roof materials. The price starts at $300.
- They are also less in weight, non-fragile, and durable as compared to the other natural material.
- The life span of the material is 50 years if it is maintained.
- Some product absorbs water.
- Some products are having poor quality.
You can use synthetic products to get the various architectural styles for roofing.
It offers elegant appearance. It is available in different colors that include green, black, red, purple, green, and black.
- It is a durable material and lasts for 500 to 100 years.
- It is fire resistant and sustainable.
- It is expensive.
- It needs extra framing due to heavyweight.
- No guarantee for quality.
It is used for French, Colonial Chateau, and European Home styles.
6- Wood Shingles and Shake
Wood shakes are made by hands. They look rough in appearance as compared to the wood shingles made through machine. Many homeowners loves the look of the wood shingles and shake. They like the gray shades given out the shingles. They are durable and f you are living in a place that is pre to fire, then you should use wood shingle of class A. This category is having a coating of fire-resistant material.
- They give you the natural beauty of the roof.
- It is not suitable because it does not complies with the fire laws and regulation.
- They are best in wet weather conditions because they get mold or rot easily.
The wood shingles area used to build the houses with Bungalow, Cottage, Craftsman, Cape Cod, and Tudor home styles.
Cost and Lifespan
- It will last for 25 to 30 years. The price per square is $100 to $150.
Hope now you are aware of all the six popular roofing material. Make the right decision for your house. If still confused, then you should contact best roofing company to make the right decision regarding selection of roofing material.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.